Wednesday 5 October 2011

CELTA preparation

Right: decision had been made, course was accepted, deposit paid.
Next I was bombarded with materials. And I mean bombarded. Most of it was completely unnecessary.

First I was advised to purchase the following:
Learning Teaching (ISBN 1405013990), Jim Scrivener (Heinemann) 
Practical English Usage (ISBN 0194420981), Michael Swan (Oxford University Press) 
A Concise Grammar for English Language Teachers (ISBN 0953132315), Tony Preston (TP Publications) 

Then I was sent four more teaching methodology 'booklets' - about 50 pages each.

Then the CELTA pre-course task which contained another list of books.

You may find one of the following grammar books useful for reference:

Aitken, R - Teaching Tenses (Nelson)
Bolitho, R & Tomlinson, B – Discover English – 2nd edition (Macmillan)
Leech, Cruickshank & Ivanič – An A-Z of English Grammar & Usage (Longman)
Murphy, R – English Grammar in Use (CUP)
Parrott, M – Grammar for English Teachers (CUP)
Swan, M – Practical English Usage (OUP)
Swan, M & Walter, C – How English Works (OUP)
Thornbury, S – How to Teach Grammar (Longman)



If you want to do some additional reading:

Gower, Walters & Philips – Teaching Practice Handbook – 2nd edition (Macmillan)
Harmer, J. – How to Teach English – 3rd edition (Longman)
Kenworthy, J – Teaching English Pronunciation (Longman)
Lewis, M & Hill, J – Practical Techniques for Language Teaching (LTP)
Riddell, D - Teaching English as a Foreign/Second Language (Teach Yourself) (Hodder Arnold H&S)
Scrivener J – Learning Teaching (Macmillan)


My short- cuts? 
The books

Firstly, the only book from this list I purchased was Raymond Murphy, but to be honest I didn't really use it on the course, but have used it in normal lessons.

I searched on-line and found free pdf versions of many of the others, but these were the only ones I used:

Practical English Usage (Swan)
A Concise Grammar... (Preston)
Teaching Tenses (Aitken)
How to teach English (Harmer)
How English Works (Swan) - I had this copy already but found a pdf version to save on luggage weight.

You could probably get away with just first one, but you are supposed to refer to others in various assignments. If you are organised enough, you can probably just borrow a book and find a suitable quote.
I bothered to read the shorter texts, but it was a waste of time. 
I purchased a Kindle which was a great investment as, once the pdfs were downloaded, I could work on the trip to and from school.

The pre-course task
The pre-course task is here. The answer key is here
The point of this was not really explained to us. Basically, it covers just about everything on the course. What you need to do, is work your way though it, with a reference book to hand. DO NOT SPEND TOO LONG ON SECTIONS ONE OR FIVE! These are subjective and question 50 has no answer. It DOES go into you final folder (though one tutor on my course said it wouldn't) so needs to be readable :)  Do it in several sessions otherwise it will send you to sleep. Look up what you need to and write your answers. I typed mine but as a short cut would not spend long typing out questions as once you have finished, you get to mark it with the key, the idea being by the end of it you have done quite a bit of reading and most of it serves as a useful reference document. It also shows you which bits you don't know so which bits you need to read more carefully! Once you have marked it, we had to submit it so the tutors could check that we had marked it correctly.

That's it: I would not waste any other time reading as it did not have much bearing on anything we were 'taught' on the course.





6 comments:

  1. Thank you SO much for this as I am starting my course in less than a month and I am thoroughly overwhelmed with all the book recommendations. The general opinion seems to be that we have a year before the course begins ( 8 books to start with and in case you get bored here are 6 more not to mention 5,001 books that were recommended in all the other emails and communications!!! YIKES!!!). So thank you so very much for addressing this! Also, if you don't mind sharing, have you found a placement already and how difficult is/was it?

    Again, Thank You!
    Anna H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      I actually didn’t need to find a placement as I have a full time job already – I am a qualified teacher and I already teach primary ESL– so did this just as an extra qualification So sorry, that isn’t so helpful.
      But back to texts, really my saving grace was downloading them and putting them on a Kindle. It saved a small fortune and luggage space plus it meant I could read on the move too. My friend put his on his laptop. Not so portable, but just as economical.
      Good luck and if there’s anything else I might be able to answer, feel free.

      Delete
  2. Hi Celtaqueen
    awesome article- thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    My husband and I have no teaching experience and want to teach English abroad.
    We are hoping to put in an application for CELTA and do the course in Sept/Oct.
    I'm quite concerned with if we will get in as we do not have English language background although we both speak fluently.
    I've gone thorough the application form and reached the grammer labels and its like 'ok I have no idea!' what do you suggest?
    work through the Swan book?
    any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Nugi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Umme
      Yes- as above I would suggest you work through the Swan book as the idea of the application form is to make you aware of all the bits you don't know already. Be aware though that it should count as part of your course, so it's not really about knowing it all in advance, but more about finding out the answers as you get to self-correct it anyway. So mark it accurately! I think we also had to write down which books we referred to when completing it.
      As for not being a native speaker, I can't really answer, except to say there was a non native speaker on the course I did.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    Link to pre-course task is now deceased..... :-(

    ReplyDelete